Our mission is simple: To provide a comprehensive resource that enables college students and young adults to gain a better understanding of financial issues that will help them succeed in their careers and in life.
How We Started
College CFO’s roots go back to 2011 when Susan Bruno, a CPA and Financial Planner, founded ‘DivaCFO’ with her daughter, Stephanie. DivaCFO was a financial literacy initiative that focused on educating women. It didn’t take long before DivaCFO’s college interns spoke up about the importance of having personal financial skills in their own lives, especially as they were finishing their education and preparing to transition to financial independence. They inspired Susan to focus on addressing their needs, and in 2013 College CFO (CCFO) was born. As those early interns envisioned it, CCFO was created to be a fun platform to build greater financial awareness in college students about to enter the workforce. In 2014, we took a giant leap forward by partnering with iGrad, an award-winning financial education platform, to create a relevant online platform that includes a series of nine mini-courses.
What We Offer Students and Recent Graduates
At CCFO, we understand that college is really the first time that you can be independent and your own boss – but every boss needs a Chief Financial Officer. While you’re keeping track of your social life and classes, your Chief Financial Officer needs to be looking out for your spending, savings, credit score and student loans.
Each of the mini-courses includes a pre-test, a comprehensive video tutorial, a hands-on financial calculator and a post-test, which indicates areas that you’ve mastered and allows you to continue learning in areas that need more attention. And since we know your social life is busy, you can take the 30 minute mini-courses on your schedule, in any order that you choose.
What We Offer Employers and Job Seekers
CCFO believes that being knowledgeable about personal finances and landing a great job go hand-in-hand. Financial wellness is growing in importance for employers who understand that financially educated employees will be less distracted, less stressed and more productive.
Who We Are
The CollegeCFO leadership team includes industry experts and young adults who are personally experiencing the financial issues as they launch their professional lives and careers. The team continues to involve interns who inspire and encourage us with their feedback to make the platform engaging. We constantly strive to keep our platform rich with content that is relevant and fun, while teaching the basic personal financial and career-focused topics with the support of our financial experts. See the team descriptions below for more information about us.
At this stage in your life, it’s never too early to take control of your personal finances.
Lead Communications Intern
Emily is a Junior at Florida Gulf Coast University where she is studying Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Journalism. On campus Emily serves as the Vice President of Public Relations for her sorority, is the President of Odyssey (an online writing club), and is the Secretary for FGCU’s FPRA. All while balancing a busy schedule, Emily serves as the lead communications intern at CollegeCFO.
Lead Recruitment and Marketing Intern
Alyson is currently a Junior at Florida Gulf Coast University where she is majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and double minoring in Marketing and Interdisciplinary Studies. While being the Lead Recruitment and Marketing Intern for CollegeCFO she is also the FGCU FPRA Communications Director as well as an active volunteer for the nonprofit, Hunting For a Cure. She is passionate about helping other grow in her field and always maintaing transparency with everyone she works with. She is a devoted student and intern and hopes CollegeCFO will help others gain the financial literacy they deserve!
Susan Joy Bruno
Co-Founder and CEO
Susan is a CPA Financial Planner and is passionate about creating a social movement to improve financial literacy for college students that is engaging, relevant and fun. As CEO, Susan is working with the CCFO corporate team and college student ambassadors to make their offering both unique and disruptive to attract a community around the College CFO brand. Susan’s mission is to empower students to become their own Chief Financial Officer just as she has done with her own children!
- Kalesha Gumbs,Florida Gulf Coast University
- Sophie LaCava,Johns Hopkins University
- Devon Preece,Florida Atlantic University
- Charlotte Schaffer,Stanford University
- Teng Tu,Fairfield University
- McKayla March,Temple University
- Shreya Patel,University of Connecticut
- Kevin Meng Pan,Boston University
- Samantha Zeiss,Dartmouth College
- Christopher Florio,St. John’s University
- David Milner,Florida Gulf Coast University
- Ghislain Ligan,Baruch College
- Mia Capobianco,Johns Hopkins University
- Carrie Uhlein,Hamilton College
- Valentina Pani,Norwalk Community College
- Rachel March,Pennsylvania State University
- Annie Maguire,Elon University
- Callan Danielson,Fairfield University
- Rachael Conti,University of Connecticut
- Michael Rizzuto,Tulane University
- Monika van Brauchitsch,Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Our Board of Advisors
- David Tait, OBE,Founding Member of Virgin Atlantic Airways
- Galia Gichon,Personal Finance Expert, “Down To Earth Finance”
- Susan Hirschman,Investment and Wealth Management Expert
- Lisa Featherngill,Managing Director of Planning at Abbot Downing
- Mark Minker,National Director of Family Office Services, CBIZ MHM
- Patrick Shouvlin,PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP, Retired Partner
- Janet Hanson,Immediate Past CEO and Founder of 85 Broads
- Virginia Gambale,Founder and Managing Partner of Azimuth Partners, Inc.